Thursday, February 23, 2012

How do I get a job bartending with no experience?

I already went to bartending school, but I'm finding it hard to get a job.How do I get a job bartending with no experience?
Most bars hire from within so your chances of starting as a bartender are pretty slim. Most places you will have to start out as a bar back or server to get started. Don't worry about it too much because turn over is pretty high in the business. I have a friend that started out in the same position that you are in, he actually worked at Perkins for a year to learn the customer side of the business. Now he is head bartender/bar manger at a 5 star restaurantHow do I get a job bartending with no experience?
I got a job in bartending without experience by saying I did have experience. I was living in NYC at the time and said my experience was from when I lived in Kansas because I knew they would actually check.



Learn how to make drinks either from a bartending school or by studying some books.



Usually when people order a drink, they ask for it by what's actually in the drink. For example they'll say "rum%26amp;coke" or "Maker's on the rocks"



The most common mixed drink that actually requires some skill is the Martini. Know how to make a Martini and you're set.



The absolute best way to make a Martini...



1) pour about a half a shot of dry vermouth in the shaker. Swirl the vermouth around to kind of coat the sides. Then dump out the vermouth.



2) fill shaker with ice.



3) start to pour vodka (or gin) for 4 seconds. This should measure out 4 ounces.



4) cover shaker with top or glass or whatever they are using.



5) Shake it up like hell for at for about 10 seconds.



6) Strain immediately into a Martini glass in front of patron (if done correctly you'll see an awesome thin layer of ice crystals that should impress the person who ordered it. Note that if you let it set, the crystals will disappear quickly.



7) Drop in a fat olive on a stick or toothpick or fancy sword.



Also, you should have a reference book. Many time when I would be asked for a drink I didn't know I would duck behind the counter like I was looking for something but would actually be looking up how to make the drink.How do I get a job bartending with no experience?
You may be to young. Most bar people want someone with some experience. Trying doing private parties. Run an ad and see if you can some experience this way. Just watch out for bachelor parties. Try a wedding or retirement party.How do I get a job bartending with no experience?
Did you check with your school to see if they'd be willing to place you at a bar?



It is also a matter of lowering your standard. I found a lot of bartenders I know started off as servers at the bar/restaurant. Got to know the atmosphere and dropped the hint that they know how to bartend and was given that position in time. Or you have to start at a relatively unappealing bar.
  • tess gerritsen
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment