Sunday, February 26, 2012

Is bartending school a bad idea???

Now I know core bartenders hate the idea, BUT I have a friend who went. It got him into doors he wouldn't of before so. I know it can't help with the 'real' job but the knowledge of drink making has to be worth it.. Right?Is bartending school a bad idea???
In my experience it is better to start as a barback or server and work your way up to the bartender position than to go to bartending school. Many places only hire bartenders from current staff or ones with bar (not just school) experience.Is bartending school a bad idea???
i think its a great way to win cash
It's good money for supporting yourself while getting an education but unless you land a job at a high end (and busy) bar it's not something I would plan a career aroundIs bartending school a bad idea???
It depends on pricing. If it's only a few hundred dollars and they offer lifetime job placement then it's worth it.
Well you have to have pouring experience. Most places want you to have a year. It's good to go if you have time and money for it so you can learn the ropes and feel comfortable doing it. The way I learned how to pour was partying. My bestfriend is a bar manager and I can get a job at any bar I want. I often pour for her when she's bartending. At a school you can learn how to count out ounces for drinks and all that, but you can also learn it from a book. If you want to get your foot in the door you may need the certificate behind you if you don't have someone credible to vouch for your experience. I would say it could be a good idea.



good luck and happy pouring!Is bartending school a bad idea???
I think its a good idea if you already have a "Day Job."

No comments:

Post a Comment