Sunday, February 26, 2012

Should I persue a college career in Bartending?

Hello!



Well, I've been going on and off about being a bartender normally because of my bills, personal issues, transportation issues for the past 3 years. Also, over those years when I've expressed the want to those I've gotten weird looks and people telling me stuff like women have it bad, you don't need bartending school, etc etc.



I want to know how good bartending really is. I hear the commericals on the radio (Texas School of Bartending) saying that there is so much money to be made in the summer time, good hours, good pay, etc.



One reason I'm looking into it is because I need a better paying job than what I have now (grocery store at $7.50, which is good, but I they won't give me part time hours), and also because I like cooking a lot too, and for some reason mixing drinks fascinates me.



If anyone could just tell the goods and the bads about it, and if it's a good idea, I would appriciate it greatly.Should I persue a college career in Bartending?
Bartenders do make some fat cash. It's a good job, if a little stressful and hard on your feet.



You do not need bartending school, however. I've known a lot of bartenders, (I waited tables for six years) and none of them went to school for it. They all worked their way up, either from waitstaff, or from barback. (The person who opens beer bottles and washes glassware.



I hesitate to say anything bad about bartending school, because I'm sure they do job placement and other things that might be beneficial, but I hate to see you waste tuition money on training for a job that doesn't really require a degree.



EDIT: Ah, I see what you meant now that you added the additional details. You may have to work your way up, but I think you should go for it. It will definitely be better than the grocery store.Should I persue a college career in Bartending?
Any application that I get from a Bartending School "grad", goes straight to the trash can. To learn the trade, you have work your way up. The best way to learn is to either Cocktail or Bar-back. This isn't truck driving school. Alot of responsibility, anybody can pour a drink, not everybody understands whats behind that drink. Good luck!Should I persue a college career in Bartending?
u need a college degree for bartending? wow. does cleaning woman need a college degree in cleaning too?Should I persue a college career in Bartending?
I worked as a bartender for a few years and it can be a really great job- cool people and lots of money!! But I wouldn't go to bartending college. A lot of bar owners would rather have someone who has no training than bartending college because they like to be able to teach you how to do it their way rather than have you come in thinkin you know everything and unwilling to listen to their way. I had no exlperience when I started bartending and I learned how to make most drinks from the bartenders I worked with or the bartending bible or just the people ordering the drinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment