Sunday, February 26, 2012

I have a question about bartending ?

I am currently in my first week of bartending school and I am learning alot and its seems to be going great. The course is 2 weeks and then there will be a final exam. Can someone out there tell me what the chance of getting a bartending job out of bartending school with absolutley no experience in the food and beverage industry ?I have a question about bartending ?
I regret to tell you this but you might be in for some disapointment. I totally agree with the person who recomended starting from the bottom but think from experience that I might be able to add a couple of thoughts. Sadly the biggest factor working against you is your gender. This might only apply to my own geographical region(NoCal) but even very experienced "male" bartenders have a hard time finding work as the trend of late seems to be hiring attractive, usually young women, often with little to no experience. Ive been pouring for 11 years, mostly college bars, and am fortunate to be employed, but I personally know of some "bar-Gods" with skills and game that find themselves overlooked for "hotties" with no talent. It is no Joke when I tell you that while training one of these young ladies, I was onced asked what goes in a Jack and Coke. My best advice would be to see if you can withdraw from your course, possibly getting some of your money back and find a new career path. It is not as glamorous as many seem to think it is. Sorry if I have rained on your parade but your time and money is without question, better spent on other ventures.I have a question about bartending ?
Try a local 'mom and pop' type bar. They are usually more likely to hire a new grad.
Try a hotel, or a restaurant. Busy nightclubs and bars will not hire someone without actual behind the bar experience. Good luck.I have a question about bartending ?
Unless you're applying at a very high end restaurant or bar, any basic bar or most city chains will hire someone who knows their way around a barback and can make a drink without a Bartender's Bible.
I work in a local bar/restaurant at the moment and I'll level with you - you have got to start from the bottom and work your way up- UNLESS you have prior server experience. Most bartenders these days got their jobs because they know somebody. I'm guessing you don't, or else you'd already have a job. Go to a restaurant, get a server position and WORK YOUR *** OFF! Keep asking about a promotion to bar and you keep mentioning your schooling. Since no bar will hire you without experience, get about 3 months experience at a crappy local bar, then brag to new bars about how fast you moved up the chain at your local job. You may need to invest 6 months to a year into it, but it's better than 4-5 years of college!I have a question about bartending ?
ask the school, that's usually part of the fee, you've paid. you keep asking this, but you just don't seem to believe most of the advice from people in the industry. get a job as a server first, so you get familiar with the inner workings of restaurants/bars. then start as barback, and work your way up; there is really no quick fix, if you want to be successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment