Monday, January 30, 2012

Bartending School?

I'm a 19 year old college student. The thought of going to bartending school has been percolating in my mind lately. I don't want to drop out of college. I just want to bartend part-time while I'm going to school for extra money. Anyway, Today I went to check out this school in Pittsburgh and it seemed to be legit. I saw the classroom/bar, their teaching license, and their job placement program. Then he said that it's only a 40 hour couse and I started to think somethings up. I've read things on the internet that bartending schools are a joke, a scam, or a waste of money.



Is there anyone here knows about bartending schools? Have you attended one or know someone who has? I'm only a broke college student so I don't want to waste hundreds of dollars on a scam.



If it is a scam what is the best way to become a bartender?Bartending School?
I saw a scam on a job posting website it said u dont need experience, i told my bf about it cuz he wants to bartend too and they tried to make him pay for the classes over the phone and stuff, never give out your info ont he phone ever.

And i know some girls that do classes at a community college for like $200, but its once a week but thru another schoool (ABC for example) classes are $600 but you get through it alot sooner and they have the job placement programs. My bf's friend used to bartend in tampa and he said it got stressing and quit and got another job, but on the other hand i see lots of people enjoying it. I do promotions where i sample liquor out to people at events or sell it, sometimes i mix the drinks too and i think its fun. Thats anoter thing u should consider is try working promotions go to craigslist.org click on your city, then "marketing" "events" or "talent" they mostly look for females but some job are for males too good for extra money. U live in a big city too which is a plus, so u will have lots to do. sometimes they put bartending jobs ads in the newspaper u might want to look there or ask aroundBartending School?
I would have NEVER known what to do on the first day without school. BTW, the school I picked in L.A. (I visited all of 'em) is in Torrance if that helps.

Report Abuse

Bartending School?
The American school of Bartending in NJ is also a huge scam. They post all over their website that they have placement nationwide. The catch is that once your done spending like 900 bucks for the 40 hr class they say you have to lie to get a job!! Can you imagine?? HUGE WASTE Of time and money.

Report Abuse

Bartending School?
I attended a bar tending school called "The Bartending Academy" in Boise,ID and from my understanding they had locations nationwide. The program lasted two weeks and I attended courses every day for a couple of hours in the evening. I dont remember exactly how much it costed but I know it was between 200-$400. I would not recommend attending one of these schools, it was a complete waste of time. They told me they had placement services but it was all a lie everytime I would call for job leads they would ignore me or just send me to random restaurants they only guessed needed bartenders. The school did not last very long after I attended. Many people complained about their services and they shut down. I would recommend talking to people who have attended that school in particular instead of just jumping right into it. most companies would much rather hire someone with experience or within the company. I dont think many bars or restaurants take these bartending schools too serious.

No comments:

Post a Comment