Monday, January 30, 2012

Bartending School?

I'm a 19 year old college student. The thought of going to bartending school has been percolating in my mind lately. I don't want to drop out of college. I just want to bartend part-time while I'm going to school for extra money. Anyway, Today I went to check out this school in Pittsburgh and it seemed to be legit. I saw the classroom/bar, their teaching license, and their job placement program. Then he said that it's only a 40 hour couse and I started to think somethings up. I've read things on the internet that bartending schools are a joke, a scam, or a waste of money.



Is there anyone here knows about bartending schools? Have you attended one or know someone who has? I'm only a broke college student so I don't want to waste hundreds of dollars on a scam.



If it is a scam what is the best way to become a bartender?Bartending School?
I owned a bar in a college town back in 1984-1986. I found myself interviewing more bartenders than I ever wanted to see. When I opened the doors I sat back and did some research of my own. 1) how much experianced was my new employee. 2) where did they train. 3) what made me choose them for the job. Answers were: 1) I did not hire the most experianced person because they were rude with attitude. 2) Everyone I hired had no training from a school. THEY got a bartenders book and studied it and lived by it at the bar. 3) their attitude was what got most of them hired. They had good conversation skills and could vary from person to person with a smile and kept all customers happy!Bartending School?
i took a bartending class, and even though people snub their noses at you, The one i went to REALLY helped me out and taught me tricks that even seasoned bartenders i've encountered, dont know!



one problem for you though, deary... in order to serve alcohol in the USofA, you have to be old enough to DRINK alcohol in the USofA (21 toots)



I say... definately go to school... in a few years. I dont regret it at all.Bartending School?
i had 2 friends who did it. never got a job doing it 'caz u always hv to know somebody to work in a restaurant/ club/ bar. these locations can be family oriented, also u need some good social skills and charm to get ur foot in the door if u dont know anyone. i dont recommend doing it. u'll hv fun, but u can make more holding a actual part time job @ MacDonald's. lolBartending School?
Bartending classes I've seen only last a couple of sessions. Usually you can take them at night. Basicly they teach you how to mix drinks, manage inventory, spot fake ID's etc. At the end you take a test and if you pass you get your license.

No comments:

Post a Comment